Bhairavi is a fourth generation entrepreneur, developmental enthusiast and an avid venture philanthropist.
She is the Executive Director at SCA Group of Companies founded in 1896 by her great-grandfather. SCA Group of Companies undertake activities in port, shipping, customs clearance, warehousing, service contracting, freight forwarding, logistics infrastructure building and management, air cargo, supply chain consultancy and IT.
Education and Professional Background
Bhairavi has a Bachelor of Science in Business with Magna Cum Laude from Miami University, Ohio, USA.
Post her graduation in 1999, she worked with KPMG Consulting in Washington D.C. Most of her project work was in the area of supply chain, public services consulting and business process reengineering.
Bhairavi returned to India in 2001. She began her foray into business by setting up a fourth party logistics company in India called i3pl. The company is credited with building the first of its kind supply chain and promotional logistics solutions in India. She successfully scaled up the company and exited from it in 2005.
In 2005 after completing the MyGlobe Executive Education Programme at INSEAD in France Bhairavi moved into the role of the Director for all the companies under the SCA Group. Bhairavi’s role as the Executive Director allows her to work with multiple teams from various companies of the group. She provides them strategic and operational guidance and is in-charge of new projects, joint ventures, CSR, leadership development and strategic alliances for the entire group.
From March 2011 to October 2012 Bhairavi was requested to provide her entrepreneurial leadership to the India@75 efforts full time. India@75 is an initiative for realizing the dream of an inclusive, sustainable and developed India by the year 2022, when India completes 75 years of Independence. Her role as the Executive Director was to develop, implement and institutionalize a delivery framework for India@75 while collaborating with the Government, Industry, Civil Society and Citizens at large.
The agenda and delivery framework is now institutionalized as a public trust and post her full time assignment, Bhairavi continues to be a member of the National Committee of India@75 Foundation Trust where she has led notable efforts such as the National Volunteering Week celebrations that reached out to 116.5 million Indians in January of 2014.
Bhairavi is a firm believer in creation of entrepreneurial ecosystem to create livelihood opportunities. She engages actively in creating, mentoring and advising many youth employability and entrepreneurship initiatives across the country.
She is closely involved with and has executed many youth employability initiatives in conflict areas such as Jammu and Kashmir and the north east of India.
Bhairavi is also a Director on the Board of the Meghalaya Enterprise Institute, a Govt. of Meghalaya undertaking where she is involved with and mentors the government team for creation of micro and macro entrepreneurial ecosystem in the state. The MEI has helped create 42000 entrepreneurs in the past one-year in the state of Meghalaya.
In line with her belief that there is no substitute for on ground data and on ground experience, Bhairavi undertook a project: “Highway to Swades” where she along with a team of experts travelled 18181 kms across India and visited 25 states to gather information on peoples’ choices and views for livelihood and development from March 2014 to May 2014, traveling for 51 days with her team, Bhairavi visited 102 locations and 200 plus districts.
- Bhairavi is the Past National Chairman of Young Indians, CII. Young Indians is an organization of 14000 Young Progressive Indians who are working towards vision of a developed India. Bhairavi is the Founding Member of the organization, which was formed in the year 2002 as CII’s Young Indians.
- Fellow, India Leadership Initiative of the Aspen Global Leadership Network
- Board Member of the Meghalaya Enterprise Institute, A Govt of Meghalaya project
- Bhairavi is Charter Member of The Indus Entrepreneurs (TiE).
- Member of Beta Gamma Sigma, the Business Honor society, USA.
- Member, India@75 National Committee
- Member, BMW Quandt, Young Leaders Forum
- Founding Member, Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals USA, India Roundtable
- Member of the Asoka Support Network (ASN)]
Honors and Awards
- Bhairavi was listed among the 30 Most Powerful Women in India, by the India Today in 2010.
- She has been profiled as Stree Shakti (Woman Power) person by CNBC Awaaz and featured as a Young Turk by CNBC TV 18.
- She has been listed as one of the 10 women exemplars by the Hindustan Times, Mumbai.
- Business Today Magazine featured her as the Supply Chain Maven.
- Bhairavi is the recipient of the prestigious CII President’s Award 2010-2011 for her contribution to CII Young Indians.
In her spare time Bhairavi likes to read, write, listen to music, dance and swim. She is a trained classical dancer and continues to pursue her interests in that sphere. She is involved in many social and philanthropic projects to promote and facilitate different art forms. She enjoys spending time in nature and often goes for treks and outdoor sports.